Monday, October 22, 2007

The Perfect Day

The day's activities started with a stroll and playing in the leaves.
After naps, we went to the park where you can rent boats. Apparently my physique does not inspire thoughts of upper body strength and athleticism in the casual observer, because the folks who rent the boats were pretty concerned about me going out alone with the kids in a rowboat. They were really pushing for the paddle boat instead. "It's really windy," and "It's hard work rowing that by yourself," the lady said. She consulted with the young man at the other end of the counter. He glanced at me and simply said, "Paddle boat."

Now, it has been a few years since I've been in a rowboat, but I was pretty sure I could handle it. I was a camp counsellor one summer, after all. Besides, J made it clear that he wanted the rowboat, not some silly paddle boat. While I certainly didn't set any speed records, we did just fine, we didn't get stuck anywhere, and we never had any doubts that we were going to make it back.
The nice lady seemed pleasantly surprised when we returned in one piece and told me how brave I was to take the kids out by myself. I probably won't be able to lift my arms tomorrow, but it was well worth it.

The boat park also has a great play area that the kiddos enjoyed immensely.




And how could any day be perfect without ice cream? I got a small cup of vanilla for H, an ice cream cone for J, and a capuccino blast for myself. Guess who ended up with the small cup of vanilla. And yes, that's actually a picture of my potty training son drinking a caffeinated beverage at the end of the day - a diuretic and a stimulant. Another fine parenting moment brought to you by the Joneses.

No comments: