Monday, October 22, 2007

Contentment

Psalm 49:16-17
Do not be overawed when a man grows rich,
when the splendor of his house increases;
for he will take nothing with him when he dies,
his splendor will not descend with him.

We had the privilege of being guests in an absolutely fabulous house this weekend. I have no idea what it cost, but based on it's location and appearance, I am certain that it is by far the most expensive house I've ever set foot inside. (Ok, except maybe the Biltmore estate, but that doesn't count.)

I find it easy to look around a place like that and think, "Wouldn't it be nice if. . ." It's tempting to come home and start thinking about all the things I'd like to change around my own house. Which is completely stupid. God has blessed us far beyond what we need. After all, isn't the minimum requirement for contentment something to eat and something to wear (I Timothy 6:8)? Or as Paul set the example, just be content regardless of the situation? How could he do that? Well, he said he could do all things through Christ who gave him strength (Philippians 4:11-13). Did you know that's what that verse is referring to in context? It's not that I can get an A on this test or get that job promotion through Christ who gives me strength. Or that I can make this free throw (I actually used to quote that verse before I shot those back when I played.) It's that I can be content in any situation through Christ who gives me strength.

To quote Charles Spurgeon, “You say, ‘If I had a little more, I should be very satisfied.’ You make a mistake. If you are not content with what you have, you would not be satisfied if it were doubled.” Contentment cannot be achieved by getting enough "stuff." There will always be someone with a bigger house or nicer furniture or more stylish clothes or better behaved (but not cuter) children than I have. True satisfaction is found only in Christ.

Hebrews 13:5 Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." He's all I need for this life and the life to come. Who could ask for more than that?

No comments: