Friday, May 18, 2007

This week

My blog has been a little slow lately because the rest of my life has not. I figure I'd better take a little time out to post anyway, or the few of you out there who read this will tire of me and go away. So here's a little of what's been happening around our household lately, in no particular order:

H's been going through a difficult sleep phase. She had been doing really well for quite a stretch (at least a couple weeks) where she was only getting up once a night. It seems, however, like it only takes a little to knock her off kilter - and it takes forever for her to recover. Last weekend she had 2 days in a row where she only got one nap instead of her usual two. That was followed by her coming down with a little cold. That all led to her sleeping terribly the rest of the week - we've been up multiple times each night. Ugh!

The kids had their first ever non-family-member babysitter at bedtime last Saturday. They survived it. So did I. So did the sitter. Perhaps B and I will start going out in the evening occasionally, now that we've proved it's possible.

We've been meaning to plant a tree in honor of H's birth for some time now. (She's only a year old - we're not that late). Today I finally went to the nursery to pick one out (Using a gift certificate that's 2 years old - you can tell I'm really on top of things). I thought something small and flowery would be appropriate for our little girl. The lady at the nursery talked me into a crabapple tree. It is really pretty. Normally, I'd hate to admit I'm planting a crabapple tree in honor of my daughter, but after the way she's been acting this week, I don't feel guilty about it at all.

Work has been very busy. I'm going into my seventh week straight where I've had patients in the hospital every day. (Not the same patients, fortunately). Usually there are some days where I've managed to get everyone home, but not lately. I got called in to see one of my fresh post-op patients tonight. Apparently she was cursing, throwing things at the nurses, and saying she was going to leave. (She just had major abdominal surgery this morning. Leaving would not be a good idea.) She had my full sympathy, because I've had days where I felt the same way. And lets see: I have 2 children, she has 4. I have a supportive hubby, she's single. She had major surgery today, I did not. She had gone all day without her Xanax and Paxil. Honey, I won't judge you. Just try not to actually hit the nurses, or they're not likely to respond very quickly next time you turn on your call light.

J's been having some issues with "brotherly love." He's just really, really not into having a sister lately. Today, about 40 minutes into her nap - did I mention how poorly she's been sleeping this week - he started crashing his legos loudly and said, "I didn't wake up H, did I?" Not with concern in his voice, but more of, "'cause if I didn't I'll try harder next time." Moments later, he decided to go the direct route. He walked down the hall, opened her door, flipped on the light, and walked back out. Of course she woke up. Quite unhappily. And we all paid for his sin the rest of the day.

So that's some of what's been going on around our house lately. Hopefully you've got it a little more together in yours!

No comments: