Wednesday, May 9, 2007

School Teachers

I was a student of one kind or another for 26 years. May 7-11 is Teacher Appreciation Week. In honor of the occasion, I'd like to mention a few of the many teachers who've positively influenced my life:

1. Miss Gerard - The best 6th grade teacher ever! I can't honestly remember a lot of what I learned that year, but I do remember that she was always cheerful, enthusiastic, and really enjoyed being around us.
2. Mrs. Mungons - My Jr. High English teacher. I can still sing all of the subordinating conjunctions to the tune of "Deck the Halls". (Really useful, I know!)She was such a creative teacher, and a great role model as a woman. I understand she now has 9 children of her own - What a woman!
3. Miss Guthrie - I had her for Advanced Biology and Chemistry in high school. She was a major factor in my decision to go into medicine. She made science fun! We did such interesting experiments - like making "Ghostbuster ectoplasm" and making bronze-coated pennies.
4. Mrs. Compton - High School English. She was tough, but I learned a lot from her. (Don't judge her by my grammar and punctuation here!) She was also good for some memorable quotes in her Texas drawl: like, "There's a foul odor coming from our radiator," and "Be-uh-wulf." "I'm soh..." (Guess you had to be there.)
5. Mrs. Albright - My piano teacher/therapist. I spent at least 30 minutes a week with her for over 10 years. Those were some good times.
6. Dr. Coss - I had him for several college science classes. He's one of the most amazing science teachers ever. I mean, how many people could make invertebrate zoology stimulating to someone who despises most invertebrates? He was interesting and challenging and fair. Plus, his granting 1/4 points for partially correct answers on his multiple answer multiple choice questions fit nicely with my compulsive personality.
7. Dr. Barrett - I took every one of his Bible classes that I could once I discovered him. Even if it wasn't a subject I would normally been drawn to, I knew I'd get a lot out of it with him teaching.
8. Dr. Apelgren - He had a tremendous impact on my decision to become a surgeon. He really believed in me as a medical student. He has a ridiculous sense of fashion, however. I've never seen uglier ties. And I've never seen another professional wear fishing hats to work. Oh, well.
9. Dr. Hoshal - Nobody knows anatomy better!
10. Dr. Wolk - What he lacked in personality and patience, he made up for in teaching great surgical technique. (Well, almost made up for)
11. Dr. Pomerantz - There's no surgical disaster too great for him to get a patient through smoothly. When I'm faced with a mess, I always ask, "What would Richard Pomerantz do?"
12. Dr. Dreisbach - He led a medical mission trip to Armenia I was part of during college. I've never met a more compassionate, hard-working, faithful man. He was around 80 years old when he led that trip, and he could still outwork most of us. He would see 70-80 patients a day. I never saw him lose his patience or rush someone through.
13. Dr. Minnick - My pastor for several years during college. He's an unbelievably good Bible teacher. Few people can make a 60 minute sermon seem so short!

God bless you all, wherever you are!

13 comments:

Joan said...

I don't specifically remember many of my teachers (moved around a lot), but I love to learn and that can't be accidental. I can't believe that I didn't think to write about this or about Mother's Day! My regular, everyday TT is posted.

Cinnamon Girl said...

What a great TT Topic!

Miscellaneous-Mum said...

Good teachers are so inspiring. I invited some to my wedding, even!

pussreboots said...

It's nice that you remember your teachers.

Learning Team said...

God Bless the teachers, they do a wonderful job. i can vividly remember my primary and highschool teacher but not my college teachers.

Anonymous said...

Wow! This was my thursday thirteen last week. Aren't teacher's great?

Anonymous said...

As a former teacher, I love this list! Happy TT!

I've always wondered what happened to the teachers that influenced me....the good, the bad, and the ugly. ;)

JHS said...

Wonderful idea for a list. I didn't know it was teacher appreciation week. Of course, every week should be teacher appreciation week.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's quite the memory you have. Great TT!

Anonymous said...

Speaking as a former teacher, I can assure you that everyone of the teachers you mention would be thrilled to death... It tends to be a kind of thankless job sometimes, until later. Nice T13

My Shoes said...

great post. i have several teachers as well that i will never forget! there were lifesavers to me. happy tt

My Middle Age Moments said...

It is funny you mention Suzanne Albright. I would put her on my list like this as well AND she was an awesome therapist too. :) We solved many teen dilemma's in our time together and I managed to get a few chords in there too. :) Great post!

Anonymous said...

I saw another list like this, and I hope you found that person's blog, because you two think alike! But I don't remember who it was, sorry. As a teacher, I thank you for remembering teacher appreciation week!