Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Dentist

J had his first trip to the dentist last week. Yes, I know it's a little late to be starting that, but we tend to follow the "If it ain't urgent, it ain't happening" principle around here much of the time.

When I told him I was going to take him, he was very excited. He wanted to go right then. It was a big letdown when he found out we had to make an appointment. He could hardly wait until the big day arrived. I wasn't quite sure what to make of that. I was glad he was excited and all, but didn't know if he really understood what was coming. There was the time, after all, that he begged for a shot at the doctor's office. I had assured him in advance that there wouldn't be a shot at that particular visit. He was so disappointed. When the doctor suggested he get a flu shot, I said, "No, I promised him he wouldn't get any shots this time." After J and I went through a couple rounds of "Please, Mommy!" and "Are you really sure you want one?," he got the flu shot. It apparently wasn't what he expected. He hasn't asked for one since.

So, anyway, I was a little afraid it was going to be a repeat of that: excited about going to the dentist, a little ticked off once they start poking around in his mouth with sharp or noisy instruments.

It wasn't. He was absolutely the most charming little dental patient you could imagine. He hopped up in the chair, picked out his flavors of polish (bubble gum) and fluoride (mint), and opened wide. They had told me ahead of time that they would just do as much as he would tolerate - anywhere from just showing him around the place to a full cleaning. He didn't flinch through the whole exam, so he got the full treatment.




Despite our late introduction to the dentist, he got an A+ report. His teeth are completely healthy and his alignment is good. That last part was a big relief. After allowing him to keep his pacie for more years than I'm going to admit in writing, we had concerns about what it might have done to his teeth. Apparently our fears were unfounded. H can keep hers until she's 18 now for all I care.

I got a couple of surprises out of the experience. Turns out he's officially growing up. He has his "six year molars" in. I had no idea, since he never complained about that hurting at all. But then, he never seemed bothered by cutting teeth when he was a baby either.

We also learned that he has 2 loose teeth. That was pretty disappointing news. I've always thought that's the thing that ages a child the fastest. They lose all their "baby-ness" once those big teeth start coming in. He's only 5, after all. I was a late bloomer in that area and didn't lose my first tooth until I was 7 (second grade). I had hoped he would keep his baby teeth longer too, but alas, my baby's growing up.

No comments: