Monday, November 10, 2008

Politics for Preschoolers

Ok, it's been almost a week since the big quadrennial voting event. I've been intentionally avoiding any newscasts or news papers for weeks, because I got to the point where I would become physically ill when I heard words such as "election" "Obama," or "McCain." Two years is far too long for any campaign to last, in my opinion. I'm hoping that Congress will finally make themselves useful and pass a law forbidding such things in the future. (I'm not holding my breath, however.)

In tribute to the big event I've decided to share a couple of J's thoughts on politics:

Last year, B told J they were going to go vote. J was surprisingly excited about the idea. When they arrived at the polling place, J looked around, disappointed, and asked, "Daddy, where's the boat?"

On Tuesday, I explained to J that it was a big day for our country. We were choosing a new president. "But what about Mr. Bush?" he asked. (This is a child who is strongly opposed to change of any kind in the world.)

"Well, Mr. Bush has served his 2 terms," I explained, "and now we have to pick someone new."

"But I don't want someone new to be president," he whined. "I want Mr. Bush to be the president forever!"

I didn't bother to tell him how lonely he is in that opinion!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least he KNOWS who the current president is. MY J - who is 8 -couldn't tell me who the current president was. I even made it multiple choice - Tree :) or Bush. Yup - he guessed Tree. Needless to say, he had no clue who Obama or McCain were either. I'd say he shuts out all discussion that doesn't interest him!

Anonymous said...

That's funny. Watch out--J might turn out to be a political junkie like my brother. :)