Friday, June 20, 2008

100 Things You Can Make

Crystal, the author of my favorite frugal mommy blog, linked to Deborah's list of 100 things you can make yourself, complete with instructions. I found it fascinating to see what you can make at home if you've got the time and inclination.

Here are the things I've made from the list:
1. Applesauce - I learned while I was in Armenia from Mrs. Dreisbach. It's really quite easy and very good.
2. Spaghetti Sauce - my mom's recipe is the best!
3. Jelly - I helped my mom make it a number of times as a kid. I made it for the first time by myself last summer. We have a great blueberry farm near our house and I made blueberry jam. Not nearly as good as mom's strawberry jam, though!
4. Mayonnaise - for a high school science class when we were learning about emulsions. I'm pretty sure I didn't actually eat any of it.
5. Pesto - I'll have to share my recipe sometime. It's good. I've made it for a number of special occasions around our house. I usually turn it into pesto cream sauce for pasta. Yummy!
6. Salsa - without cilantro, of course!
7. Gravy
8. Coffee - ok, this was a pretty easy one to get credit for. I even looked at the instructions to make sure they weren't talking about growing the beans yourself or something.
9. Stuffing - Grandma Greene's recipe is the best!
10. Ice Cream
11. Pizza
12. Playdough - I learned recently that the homemade version doesn't have the preservatives that the store bought stuff does. Leave it in a ziplock bag undisturbed for a few months and it gets pretty rancid.
13. Bubbles - Soap + Water. Yeah, I can handle that.
14. Curtains - really cute yellow ones for our second home's guest room. Ok, my mom helped a little since i don't have a sewing machine of my own.
15. Candles
16. Skirt
17. Shorts - Not exactly shorts, but I worked at a camp one summer that required the female counselors to wear culottes. They're not an easy thing to find in a store. I made a bunch myself.
18. Bread
19. Pretzels - The soft kind. Only once. It was a little more work than it was worth.
20. Stool - Probably not the kind she was referring to :)
21. Pinata - A taco-shaped one in 5th grade for our class's Mexico party.
22. Crayons - I made crayon muffins once. I'm counting it.
23. Gnocchi - Made it in a cooking class with my friend Erin once. Never at home. A little too labor intensive.
24. Guitar - Again, not exactly. But I did make a hammered dulcimer once for the science olympiad (with significant help from my dad and Mr. Johnson). It's a stringed instrument, so it should count.
25. Igloo - see photos of my most recent creation
26. Cheese - I also learned this in Armenia, but it's another lesson I haven't used since.

These are a few of the things I haven't made, but would like to someday:
1. Hummus - yummy!
2. Pudding pops
3. Pickles
4. Finger paint
5. Bird house
6. House - this will never happen, but I think it would be fun to be able to design a house with all the things we like best from the places we've lived so far.
7. A kite

Here are some things from that list I'll definitely never make:
1. Bacon - Seriously, I have better things to do.
2. Tofu - Gag! Enough said.
3. Wine/beer - I'm a teetotaler. The only alcoholic beverage I've made is apple jack from letting the cider hang around too long.
4. Paper - It's plentiful enough around our house without me making more.
5. Couch - God bless you if you've got the skill for this, but wow! That seems like an awful lot of work to me!
6. Biodiesel - I prefer not to mess with things that are combustible.
7. 4th of July sparklers - See #6. Besides, we still have dozens left over from 2 years ago. J touched the wrong end of one and wants nothing more to do with them.

3 comments:

Lori said...

I can't wait to get some of those recipes from you.

I think I agree with your list of "things not to try at home".

Love Ya,

Lori

BTW-Is there anything that you can't do? 100 things!

Unknown said...

Sure, Lori, according to my count I can't do 76% of the things on the list!

Lori said...

LOL!! OK you got me there.

Oh, I still think your pretty special.